The After School Special Study Group aims to provide a safe space for after school workers to engage in discussions around social justice related topics that are relevant to their daily work. Participants will help decide the topics discussed, along with readings and topics that will help participants motivate their students and parents to work more cohesively as a community. Group members will also participate in case conferencing, bringing in challenges they may be facing at work and receiving feedback from others in order to further develop their practice.
Facilitated by Mira Carberry, After-School Educator, Fong Ngo, After-School Program Coordinator, and Chris Santomauro, After-School Program Coordinator.
- Small in size – this group will be no larger than 12 participants. We are asking for everyone to commit to attending all sessions (dates listed below).
- This group will be run using protocols that could be used with professional colleagues and/or high school students.
- Each session will be held at a location TBD somewhere within the city of San Francisco. Dinner will be provided. Please bring a beverage to share.
- Must commit to attending all sessions. Attendance is essential to maintain community and momentum for the group. Please Respect all our time.
- This study group is open to any educator who works in an after school setting.
- This group is open to 12 individuals.
- Time of Meetings: 6:30 – 8:30pm
- Night of the Week: Thursdays
- January – May: 1 meeting/month, dates TBD by group’s availability
- Format will be the following:
- November/December: Getting to Know Each Other / Community Building
- January-April: Meetings will be centered on topics tbd by the group. Second half of each meeting will focus on case conferencing to bring to light/receive feedback on workplace challenges participants are facing