In this Study Group, a cadre of seasoned upper-elementary teachers will work to make the abstract more concrete. We will work with theories of critical pedagogy and critical race theory and place emphasis on breaking down more complex, theoretical ideas and plan to implement them in our classrooms in a developmentally appropriate way. Using the practice of “each one-teach one,” we will construct knowledge together. This Study Group is specifically designed for classroom teachers in 4th and 5th grade classrooms, as well as 3rd-5th grade SDC teachers. The Study Group will focus on changing our classroom practices using theoretical knowledge and discussion and planning.
Facilitated by Tara Ramos, 4th grade teacher at Paul Revere School and Karen Zapata, 4th grade teacher at San Francisco Community School.
Some basic information about the group:
- Small in size – this group will be no larger than 12 participants. All participants should commit to attending all sessions (dates listed below).
- This group will be run using protocols that could be used with students and with colleagues.
- Each session will be held at City Hall. Dinner will be provided. Please bring a beverage to share.
MEETINGS WILL BE HELD ON THE FOLLOWING DATES:
- Thursday, Nov 3, 5:30-8:00pm, location TBD
- Thursday, Dec 1, 5:30-8:00pm, location TBD
- Thursday, Jan 5, 5:30-8:00pm, location TBD
- Thursday, Jan 12, 5:30-8:00pm, location TBD
- Thursday, Feb 2, 5:30-8:00pm, location TBD
- Thursday, Feb 23, 5:30-8:00pm, location TBD
- Must commit to attending all sessions. Attendance is essential to maintain community and momentum for the group. Please Respect all our time.
- This study group is open to 4th and 5th grade educators, or 3-5 Special Day Class teachers, who have at least three years teaching experience.
- This group is open to 12 individuals.